Monday, July 7, 2008

Review: Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles

In what I hope will be a continuing tradition around here, I'd like to kick off our first ever "Dave and Steve" show review of a music CD! We hope to do this more albums, TV Shows and Movies. Keep in mind that these reviews will not be a combined opinion of everyone on the show, but rather one host's opinion, be it Tracy, Steve or myself. That being said, you may occasionally see a "Second Opinion" from one of the other guys on the reviews, especially in the event that they don't agree with the review.

So without any more blabbering, here is my take on Motley Crue's latest CD, "Saints of Los Angeles":


I've often said how much I despise the term "meh," which is so widely used on the interwebs these days. It's such a dismissive way to end an argument, especially if you're losing. The conversation usually goes like this:

Wanker: Black is white!
Douche: Actually it isn't. Black is a combination of all colors, and the opposite of white. White is quite reflective, where as black tends to absorb, be it heat or color. That's why you've never heard of a "white hole."
Wanker: meh

All this being said, after listening to the latest offering, "Saints of Los Angeles," from Motley Crue, and the first by all-original members in 10 plus years, I'm left with just one feeling:

meh



From what I understand, this album was written by Sixx and his friends from his side project Sixx A.M. (get it?). The result is a boring, bland, and frankly uninspired effort. The biggest missing element to me are the hooks that made Motley so popular in the late 80s and early 90s. Where is the hook of "Kickstart My Heart," "Same Ol Situation," or "Girls, Girls, Girls?" There just aren't any moments on "SOLA" that wind up getting stuck in your head. I couldn't sing one song to you from the album, outside of the first self-titled single, despite having listened to the album many times over.

The other problem I had with this release is how desperate the song writing team seems to be when it comes to proving that Motley Crue are still "rebels." Putting the word "f*cker" in a song title, or constantly talking about how "white trash" they are just makes Motley feel exactly like what they are, which is a bunch of old men trying to stay relevant in today's music market.

I have nothing against Motley Crue, and will gladly go out and see them with Buckcherry this summer, but "SOLA" just didn't work for me. It feels like an album full of songs that would have been filler tracks on "Dr. Feelgood."

Oh and just in case you weren't aware, Motley Crue would also like to let you know that "Chicks = Trouble." I'd also like to add that "Boobs = Attractive," "Fire = Hot," and "Saints of Los Angeles = meh."

Final Score: 2.5 out of 5

For more awesome content like this, check DaveSteve.com daily, and tell your friends that new episodes of The Dave and Steve Show are posted weekly here on the site!

No comments: